Sunday, October 16, 2011

Response to Macbeth, by William Shakespeare



“Come you spirits that tend on mortal thoughts, unsex me here; and fill me, from crown to toe, top-full of direst cruelty. Make thick my blood, stop up th’ access and passage to remorse, that no compunctious visitings of nature shake my fell purpose nor keep peace between th’ effect and it” (Shakespeare, 1055).

In this quote, Shakespeare is describing Lady Macbeth as she plans to kill the present king, Duncan. The author’s imagery, through his choice of descriptive words, paints such a vivid picture that I can almost see Lady Macbeth’s grey face as she swears a mortal curse. This soliloquy is written in a tone of darkness, and, yet, I find that it is one of the easiest passages to understand because evil thoughts and cruel intentions are common to all human society, regardless of the time period. I also find this passage intriguing because, before reading this story, I would have thought that Lady Macbeth would be a womanly heroine. Yet, Shakespeare's description of Lady Macbeth is just the opposite. The qualities that are generally considered more feminine, such as gentleness and compassion, are thrust aside as Lady Macbeth asks to be “unsexed” by evil spirits and filled with the “direst cruelty” (1055). I find it especially disturbing to see these characteristics in Lady Macbeth because I usually hope that the main female character in a story will be a noble person with whom I can relate. However, Lady Macbeth’s heart is set only on evil, and, while we are all sometimes tempted to do wrong, I cannot approve of Lady Macbeth’s continuously wicked thoughts and plans. Thus, with some reluctance, I must see her as the antagonist, even though I had hoped she would be the protagonist. I then wonder, what will be Lady Macbeth’s end? Will her evil scheme come to pass? Will the consequences of her plan prove too heavy for her human conscience to bear?

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you and definitely feel that Lady has very evil intentions and it was unexpected for me as well. I wonder how Macbeth feels about Lady Macbeth being so wicked and evil hearted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the both of you as well. To me it was crazy to see Lady Macbeth taunt him after he wanted to back out of the murder plan. The main question in my reading responce had to do with the same subject as I was wondering if Lady Macbeths taunts will affect him and/or if he will carry out the murder in the end?

    ReplyDelete