Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Macbeth Response

I found Macbeth wonderfully intriguing. There was this motif of disruption of order that I kept seeing throughout the book.  As there’s a play on words with “foul and fair” Macbeth says, “So foul and fair a day I have not seen” (Shakespeare 1.3.38) and this shows a disruption of order in the nature as he uses a paradox of foul and fair, the day is good and bad at the same time which gives a very ominous feeling of insecurity, and even before Macbeth quotes that paradox, in Act 1 scene 1 the witches say all together, “fair is foul, and foul is fair” (Shakespeare 1.1. 12). There’s also part in the play where Banquo is talking about the witches and he says, “You should be women, and yet your beards forbid me to interpret that you are so.” (Shakespeare 1.3 .45-47) and this shows a disruption of order in gender roles and norms as women shouldn’t be having beards and also just watching Macbeth and his wife their social roles have changed as Macbeth’s wife seems to be more manly than Macbeth. There is also a disruption in hierarchy seen as Macbeth thinks of becoming the thane of Cawdor and he says, “The thane of Cawdor lives. Why do you dress me in borrowed robes?” (Shakespeare 1.3. 109-110) and this represents how if Macbeth tries to become the thane of Cawdor he’s disrupting the order of hierarchy because the “borrowed robes” implies that since they’re borrowed they don’t suit/fit him well, just like how he shouldn’t disrupt the hierarchy and try to become the thane of Cawdor.

1 comment:

  1. I never noticed the paradox in his writing. I think that's an awesome observation and I can see where you're coming from when you say it kind of sets the tone/mood of the play. I saw what you said about Macbeth and the hierarchy too. I definitely felt he was being pushed into something he was not supported, ie disrupting the hierarchy.

    ReplyDelete