Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Response To "Field Work"

"On the back of your hand for the tight slow burn of its sticky juice to prime your skin, and your veins to be crossed criss-cross with leaf veins" (Heaney 47).

This poem required me to re read it a couple of times and research different terms that I did not know and even some I did know to make sure I understood it properly. However, there is one connection I was able to pull from the poem. In the poem there is a constant reminder of someone being wounded or injured. The poems contains words like ""vaccination", "healed", "wounded" which all indictact a medical issue that is happening. I believe the author is making a contrast between different healing methods. One is different sources that can be found in nature and the other is man-made medicine. "Except a dryad's not a woman / you are my wounded dray" (Heaney 45). A Dryad is said to be a spirit from mythology in which the spirit was heavily connected to its "assigned" tree or its part that is connected to nature. If the plant or tree was injured the dryad is injured with it. The author is making the connection to this woman on how even though she may not be considered dryad, that she is to him. From the quote at the top is just gives me the image of using different sap and material found in nature being mixxed in someone's body to in order to heal them. What I got out the poem is the importance of the difference in the medicines that is found in nature. Especially since nature is heavily used in this poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment