Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Macbeth

Macbeth is a(n) interesting play. I remember acting this out in theater back in High School. As i was reading, certain scenes popped out at me and it made it seem kind of clear; but like poetry, plays are hard to read and comprehend. It helped reading with others and trying to summarize after each scene what we had just read. The line that stuck out to me was when Lady Macbeth and Macbeth were speaking about how they're planning to kill King Duncan. They sneakily plan an attack against him as he sleeps, framing his guards so, Macbeth can finally be king. "When we have mark'd with blood those sleepy two Of his own chamber, and us'd their very daggers. That they have done't?" (Shakespeare, 36) This was a thought out process that will lead Macbeth to take over after all, just like everyone wants. With the blood and daggers pinned on the guards, it will seem suspect and believable that they are the ones at fault, while Macbeth and his wife carry on and act in disbelief like the rest. Its the perfect setup. Lady Macbeth, to me is an interesting character. To be a lady she doesn't show the "lady like" qualities. Her lines display her to be so vulgar, demanding and manipulative. This scene I shared, shows how she is the mastermind behind King Duncan's death, As we read further, we will see more manipulation I feel like from her character. She reminds me of a "go-getter" and she wants to be known and royal, and with her husband being King she will be able to have that title. Interesting first act, now I think if I see the play, the pieces will come back to me all at once.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely agree with what you had to say about Lady Macbeth. Macbeth is certainly a highly ambitious character, but it is Lady Macbeth who pushes him to carry out Duncan's assassination. She is strong like other females in Shakespearean plays, but Lady Macbeth is on a whole different level. It'll be interesting to see how the relationship between Lady Macbeth and Macbeth changes after they usurp the throne.

    ReplyDelete