Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Response to Field Work

I have no idea what this poem is talking about or what it means. I did my best on the assignment making the two columns. I pulled out the things I noticed and the imagery, but the connections side is a little bit of a struggle since I don't really know what Heaney is trying to say here or what we're supposed to learn from it.
That being said, I did notice all of the nature references. I'm not sure what they do for the poem though. For instance, I noticed the many references to cows/cattle and plants/flowers. Maybe this is Heaney's way to incorporate the type of nature in Ireland into his poem?
I also noticed that he mentions this vaccination mark twice--the first on the arm and then on the thigh. But again, I'm not sure what it's supposed to say. However, I did understand the line that says, "an O that's healed into the bark" (Heaney, 45). It gives this image of what a vaccination scar looks like.
For some reason, the last phrase, "you are stained, stained to perfection" (Heaney, 47) really sticks out to me. I'm not sure if it's supposed to serve as the main point for the poem or just the way Heaney closes the poem?

Casi Flordeliza

No comments:

Post a Comment