Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Macbeth Act 2 - 10/25

What I find the most interesting in Act 2 is all the foreshadowing. In my first reading response I talked about how the witches and their supernatural power kept me interested, but there was foreshadow present in Act 2 without the witches being present. It seemed like some people in the story already felt that a murder was going to take place, that they could feel the negativity in the air. Lennox told Macbeth the morning after the murder that "The night has been unruly." He said that people "Lamentings heard i' th' air, strange screams of death" - implying that they heard death in the night air. "The obscure bird clamored the livelong night"- which means an owl hooted all night because the owl is the omen of destruction. I think Lennox's rendition of the night before scared Macbeth even further, he was already nervous that he would be caught and was unsure of his actions.

Another piece of Act 2 that really interested me was Porter's analogy about being drunk. It was so funny because it's true! I didn't quite understand what he was saying until I read the modern version, and I understood it completely. It's funny how even in Shakespeare's time, being drunk had the same effect that it has on a lot of men today.

"It provokes the desire, but it takes away the performance." - just hilarious!

No comments:

Post a Comment