Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Oysters Reading Response Journal

Since we, as a class, have spent the most time analyzing "Oysters," I figured this poem would be the one I choose to write about. I thought it was confusing, yet interesting how Heaney's thought process seemed a little backwards in this poem. However, now that we've broken each stanza down, the poem as a whole makes more sense to me.
From the beginning of the poem in the first stanza, I thought it was a very intricate way of saying he thinks oysters are delicious. In the second stanza, I thought the tone was a little ironic in how he was talking about violating oysters when clearly that's what he's doing and enjoying them. But I loved the imagery of this special occasion and toasting to friendship along the coast "in the cool of thatch and crockery" (Heaney, 3) in the third stanza. I got a little stuck on the last two stanzas until we went over them last class. I wasn't sure what to think about the fourth stanza. But I thought our discussion on the word "Deliberately" and the implication at the very end of his poem about putting him into action was interesting too.
After analyzing this poem, I 'm interested to see where we'll go with "The Gutteral Muse." I think the connections of loneliness between this poem and The Heart is a Lonely Hunter is kind of interesting.

Casi Flordeliza

3 comments:

  1. I definitely agree how at first it may seem overwhelming if you read through it and don't try and break it down and find the smaller meanings to interpret the poem as a whole. It did help in class to discuss it to better understand how to read poems and what to look for and what to get from a particular poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too agree with how reading this poem was very overwhelming reading it all at once. The discussion in class helped a lot and made us see things we didn't see at first. I also find it interesting how loneliness connects back to "The Hears is a Lonely Hunter," so I wonder where will we go with "The Gutteral Muse" as well. I believe everything we read some how connects in a peculiar way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Casi, I like that you connected the poem back to the novel! I think talking about literature with someone else -- your friend, the class -- is so helpful AND one of the most fun and interesting parts of reading. :-)

    ReplyDelete