Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Macbeth Act 2

"Will all great Neptune’s ocean wash this blood clean from my hand?" (William Shakespeare Act 2, Scene 2)

In act 2 scene 2, Macbeth is talking about his guilt for killing Duncan. In this line, Macbeth is wondering if the guilt will ever go away and if he can ever rid the blood off his hand. When Macbeth's wife comes out to see Macbeth, she replies that the water will clean off the blood easily. But I feel like there is a disconnect between the couple, because Macbeth feels terrible about it and his wife doesn't completely understand her husband is upset about killing Duncan. The wife gets mad when she realizes that he didn't leave the daggers behind and instead of understanding that he doesn't want to go back in the room, she calls him a coward. There is definitely some tension between the two. Maybe I'm imagining things.

I think that it is interesting that we only read about killing Duncan before and after it happens, but don't see anything written about him actually in the act. I wonder why Shakespear wrote it like that. I like Macbeth and Shakespeare. I read it in highschool and we did a couple of projects and acting scenes from it, which was fun. It really helped me understand things better by acting it out and going over the play line by line to decipher the meaning.

Lena

2 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with how he is feeling very remorseful about his actions. I think he knew he shouldn't have done it, and didn't really want to, but he did not have much choice if he wanted to get what he has wanted for a long, long time. Lady Macbeth is one convincing woman...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with how he feels and how he is guilty for his actions and how he is afraid to go back to get the dagger. I feel that his wife is a strong will women that convinces him to go back.

    ReplyDelete