Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Oysters- 10/4/2011

The most interest thing about reading a poem is that when you first start reading you are completely confused. I write poems on a daily basis, but reading them is a different ball games. Heaney has an expressive imagination and the way he describes certain lines in his poems are breathtaking. Heaney says, "Millions of the ripped and shucked and scattered." This line stood out to me because he used perfect alliteration and the verbs were strong. Another thing about this poem that I had not realized when reading it alone is that his mindset reversed. He went from eating the oysters, to taking them away from their habitat, and then to driving to the habitat to retrieve the oysters. Overall, the poem was brilliant, but I don't think I would have come to some of these conclusions about the poem on my own. "I ate the tang deliberately, that its tang might quicken me all into verb, pure verb." These lines in the poem were also worded well and for Heaney he was saying that he was tired of thinking about depriving the oysters of their lives. He was ready to take some action. It took the class about 3 classes to break the entire poem down, but it was well worth it.

2 comments:

  1. I really liked how you referenced the line "ripped and shucked and scattered". This quote really give you a visual. The first time I read poems too I am always so confused and with this line I just kind of breezed by it and didn't pay any attention to it, but then after reading it again this line definitely stood out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natasha, I think, in part, this is the really great thing about poetry. We can read it just to read it and take five minutes. We can say we want to dig in a bit, and we could have taken a class to do that. We decided to really dig in, and it took about two class periods. And the thing is, we can dig even more if we want! I'm curious -- what kind of poetry do you write?

    ReplyDelete