Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Zeitoun

“How hard it was to do both, to be partner to one and protector to the other. What was the balance? He would spend years pondering this conundrum” (Eggers 10).

So far I am enjoying the book a lot. The book seems very simple, but yet it’s so interesting to read and it makes me want to read more. This particular quote, I really liked, because it really shows what kind of person Zeitoun is. Zeitoun really cares for his family a lot and he’s a character that has a lot of responsibility, and he puts that responsibility on himself which is why he seems to be so hard on himself. He makes the mistake of forgetting his child and he gets, in a way, angry at himself, but everyone makes mistakes in life, yet, for Zeitoun it seems like he’s a man who can’t tolerate mistakes that he makes. I think that Zeitoun’s stable physicality, “he could go without breakfast, graze at lunch, and barely touch dinner, all while working twelve-hour days of constant activity and still his weight never fluctuated” (Eggers 8), reflects on his personality as well because Zeitoun doesn’t seem to get angry often, he’s hardworking and he’s a very stable father and husband as he cares a lot for his family.

For me, I think this novel is very interesting because it’s about Hurricane Katrina, which happened when we were alive, so I think it makes it easier for me to relate to the book and understand most of what is happening. I love how the novel makes me want to read more and ahead because it’s just so intriguing and I want to know what will happen next.

1 comment:

  1. Haha, Heidi, your last few sentences almost mirror exactly what I said at the end of my post. I completely feel where you're coming from when you say that you want to read ahead, because I definitely do too!

    ReplyDelete