Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Zeitoun Response 1 (11/15/11)

There was one particular paragraph that caught my attention the most, but it is too long to type out in its entirety.  It is on page 26 in the hardback, and 16 in the paperback, I believe.
     "The man was school-obsessed, and Kathy liked to tease.......their lives or days without the other."
This is not dialogue, but just a narrative paragraph.  To me, it says a lot about the relationship between Kathy and Zeitoun.  From what we have read, Zeitoun is a very home-centered man with proper morals.  He appears to be a very honest and well-minded individual, and Kathy is just the same.  She "liked to tease him about it and any number of things."(Eggers, 26).  Their relationship is clearly much healthier than Kathy's last, which ended in a divorce, and even though she is 13 years younger than him, they still get along perfectly fine.  They talk on the phone almost all day, every day, about anything at all.  Whether it be about their business, what they have to do, or just to say hi, they would be on the phone talking to one another very, very often.  "Neither of them could operate their home, their company, their lives or days without the other."  I believe this is the absolute perfect example of the relationship between Kathy and Zeitoun, I just hope it can last. I guess we'll find out later in the story.

On a side note, I am definitely looking forward to reading more of this book now that it is not poetry or a play. To me, it is much easier to follow along with, especially because it is relating to events that have occurred in my lifetime.  I am excited to read more of the story and learning more about how the characters will interact and progress throughout the novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment