Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Zeitoun Response

“In Syria we have a saying, ‘The crazy person talks, the wise person listens.’ ” (Part I, pg. 46)



I chose this quote because, I think up to what we've read, this sums up Zeitoun perfectly. He's characterized as this quiet, wise man. He never says too much and never does too little. He's observant and responsible. He keeps the reader wondering about what to expect from him, which is important. Descriptions of him in the book, make it seem as thought he knows things about life that most people don't or something. I think wisdom would be a good addition to the characteristics we listed in class. Some of them were hard-working, devoted father/husband, hard on self, religious, protective...and his motivation was his family/work because he comes from a family-oriented, hard-working family from Syria. I wonder how Zeitoun will change throughout the rest of the book. Will we see more from him?

1 comment:

  1. I definitely believe there is a lot more for us to see about Zeitoun in particular knowing that he is the main character in the story. What I am wondering is how is he going to deal with the hurricane taking in consideration the little attention he has given it so far.

    ReplyDelete