Monday, November 21, 2011

A Second Response to Zeitoun, by Dave Eggers


“The man disappeared in a haze and screamed like a scalded child. When the smoke cleared, he was cowering in a fetal position, wailing like an animal, trying to reach his eyes with his hands” (Zeitoun, 243).

This story made me so mad. I was sickened to think that the security guards would be so cruel to a mentally disabled man that they would punish him for doing something that he did not know was wrong. I also felt so bad for Zeitoun, who had to watch this atrocity take place without being able to do anything about it. For me, I cannot tolerate actions of cruelty against helpless individuals, especially cruelty against those who are mentally disabled because they are unable to stand up for themselves. I can understand that the security guards were trying to do their job, but how could they not have realized that this man was mentally impaired? If Zeitoun could hear the man’s nonsense ramblings several cages away, and over the noise of a generator, surely the guard watching him could have taken notice of the man’s mental state. So, why was he punished? It almost seemed like the guards were waiting for a chance to test out their new pepper spray. Even though I know the guards were physically human beings, their actions toward this man made them seem more like animals. This passage contains almost too much imagery; I can see the poor man in my imagination, and even now the picture almost makes me cry. I know this horrible event was only one of the many atrocities committed during Hurricane Katrina, and I shudder to think of what was happening elsewhere. I can only hope that our government will learn from the mistakes of Katrina and be more prepared to help, not hurt, its citizens.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you. I was shocked at the cruelty that took place in the prison and it was sometimes hard to read the second half of the book about the cruel times that Zeitoun recounts of his time in prison. I also hope that our government will learn from the mistakes of Katrina and take a stance to protect its citizens. I was also shocked at the racism that took place in the prison when Zeitoun and his friends were called the "Al Qaeda" without any substantial evidence; they were called terrorists with just the fact that they were from the middle east.

    ReplyDelete