Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Zeitoun

"They could not have expected Kathy to return the favor. They assumed, no doubt, that a Muslim woman, presumably submissive and shy with her English, would allow her hijab to be ripped from her head without retaliation. But Kathy let loose a fusillade of pungent suggestions, leaving them dumbfounded and momentarily speechless" (Eggers, 46).

I think Kathy is such an interesting character and I love the personality that is displayed in the book. This quote shows just how bold she is and how strong of a person she is. You can tell how much she values her religion and what is more interesting is that she chose to convert. That takes a lot of guts especially since her background was growing up baptist. She isn't afraid to be who she is and isn't afraid to fight for what she believes in. I also love the fire and spunk of her personality especially her passion towards her family and making sure she gives her kids what she never had. One of my favorite parts was where Eggers was talking about how she was just as girly and wild as her daughters. It's kind of funny to picture a grown woman acting like a child, but she also knows when to act like a grown up. I like seeing the liveliness in a character and I admire the love and passion she shows in her actions.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you. I really like Zeitoun's character for his mature and care for his family, responsible kind of side, but Kathy seems to be such a bold character and I really like that about her. It gives the Zeitoun family more color as the girls are watching Pride and Prejudice and act out scenes from there and act like drama queens. When I picture the family I think it feels like a very friendly environment that is never boring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you also. One of the characteristics my group listed the other day in class was that Kathy was a strong-willed individual. It takes a lot of courage to be ridiculed, but at the same time hold your ground and stick to what you believe in. I also think Kathy shows how strong she is by leaving a marriage, but not being afraid to completely commit again. Many people do not have the courage to do this, but she does.

    ReplyDelete