Sunday, November 27, 2011

Zeitoun #2

Zeitoun’s story was unnerving to me. We all watched the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina on the news and saw the devastation, but to hear an actual story in full detail made a larger impact. I believe that racism is still very much alive, but I have always focused on the prejudice against my own race, and not of others. Everyone has small conditioned prejudices of other nationalities, but the majority of people don’t act on them. The fact that the United States government used its power to fuel such an indirect racist attack on its Middle Eastern citizens in the midst of a crisis as massive as Hurricane Katrina is beyond upsetting. I feel so sorry for Kathy, who now suffers from her post-traumatic stress syndrome. I can’t even imagine the mental damage that could be caused by accepting the death of your husband and then to find him in such unethical conditions under the government that you’re supposed to trust. I hope that their children don’t have any issues because of what happened. I loved the book, I loved the way it was written, I love how the story was told and I love that it a true story. However, I’m somewhat concerned about how to effectively write a paper on it. I’m excited to see what I come up with.

1 comment:

  1. lol Yea i am with you on the paper part. What I really found most interesting in the book is how his religion, faith, is what kept him going. That part of the book really stood out to me because in today's society people try not be "religious" but I believe that having faith in the positive is the only thing that can allow us keep moving forward. And it was a major impact in seeing the government firsthand be the catalyst for all the racism and attacks that Zeitoun endured.

    ReplyDelete