Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Zeitoun Post

"He couldn't leave the bike and run- he needed that bike- and he couldn't ride on the flat tire, so he threw the bike over his shoulders started jogging." ....... "The consequences could be far-reaching. Work was a pyramid, he knew, built on day after solid day. He ran faster" (Eggers 37).


I chose this quote clearly because, Eggers displays a man built with hard-working ethics and a drive to be the man his father once was. Abdulrahman Zeitoun, coming from a working family, who knew how to work for what they wanted out of life, motivated him to give his family what he once never had. Being dominant and head strong is a characteristic that's naturally instilled due to his heritage and religion. Zeitoun reminds me of my father, family is what keeps them going. Zeiotun dedication to his job is expressed in this quote and lets readers know, that he would run a marathon if he had too, just to be at work on time. I see this clearly through my father as well. Rain or shine, sick or whatever the circumstance may be, if his job needs him for anything, he will sacrifice and do what needs to be done. I also enjoyed this little story shared from Zeitouns past, because it brought back memories of my high school basketball team. Dedication and commitment was always expressed and instilled upon us, that it still carries on as we have departed from one another and go about our lives. Well, Zeiotun is committed and dedicated/devoted to his job as well, this type of hunger and attitude is put into perspective to help secure and or place him higher in society, as he is working to get where he needs/wants to be. I could relate to this quote in so many ways, and to his character too. I'm enjoying what I' am reading so far, and hope this story continues to capture my attention as were progressing through the novel.

-Diamond Q

No comments:

Post a Comment