Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Heart is A Lonely Hunter Response

"Singer was dead. ANd the way he had felt when he first heard that he had killed himself was not sad--it was angry" (MuCullers, 341).

When I read the response that Jake Blount had to Mr. Singer's death it stood out to me because the action that Singer did in killing himself was a downfall. Everyone, including Jake Blount, had assumed Singer to be a caring and righteous person. In the end, Singer was shown as a selfish person. I believe when a person commits suicide it is a selfish act because that person is inflicting pain and grief to people who cared for them. It just showed Singer's character that he really did not care for these people. His heart was truly connected for only his friend Antonapoulos. Throughout the book there was nothing a direct indication on who Mr. Singer really was. His personality was always assumed but never truly known. I believe what made Singer seem like such a good person was because the types of people who were fascinated with him were outcasts. These outcasts treasured Singer because he was unable to talk and would not have able to cast judgement upon them. So Mr. Singer became a representation of what they would have wanted society to be so that they could have been accepted. When I was reading the book I never found Mr. Singer to be as fascinating as the other characters assumed him to be and thought that he did not really care for the people that came to him. In his final moments proved me right.

2 comments:

  1. I too, didn't connect with the fascination the characters had with Singer. I wouldn't have found salvation in someone who couldn't communicate back with me. I agree that the characters didn't want anyone to talk back to them, they were avoiding judgment, but I think they all needed some judgment in order to get themselves together. Someone should've been telling them what was right and wrong, someone should've been giving them opinions that they had to think about. Singer just gave them a "listening ear" and nothing else, he didn't even truly care about any of them. And ironically, Antonapoulos didn't truly care about Singer either. What do you think Antonapoulos truly felt about Singer? or do you think he was capable of thinking anything of substance at all?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Avan, great post. I love your insight about the characters having in Singer the acceptance that they would want to have from society. Good job!

    ReplyDelete