Thursday, September 22, 2011

Fall for the Book...

On Wednesday night, I attended a Fall for the Book presentation at Harris Theatre. The featured author was Connor Grennan, who wrote the book Little Princes: One Man's Promise to Bring Home the Lost Children of Nepal. I was so excited to attend this event as I, along with my mom and sisters, read this book over the summer and really enjoyed it. I could not believe that we were actually going to see the author in person! During the presentation, Grennan gave a brief summary of his adventures in the book. He explained why he went to Nepal, what he learned there about child trafficking, and why he felt compelled to start a non-profit organization to rescue trafficked Nepalese children. It was also really neat to see his pictures of Nepal that were playing in the background during the presentation. At the end, there was a question and answer time where he explained in more detail his organization, Next Generation Nepal, and what they are doing currently. I truly enjoyed this presentation. It was informing, humorous, and, at times, very sobering. When Grennan described how horribly traffickers had treated many Nepalese children, I felt so saddened that such gross injustice still occurs today. I also gained a greater appreciation for Grennan’s organization and their mission to rescue trafficked children and return them to the families from which they were so cruelly stolen. This event exceeded my expectations, and I only wish that I could have spent more time with the author to learn more about him and the amazing work he is doing for the lost children of Nepal.

1 comment:

  1. Anna,

    That's so cool that you and your family had read the book over the summer! This is what's so great about fall for the book and readings in general. Sometimes, one will come along, and you'll go, whoa, I've actually read that book! It sounds like a great book and a fascinating reading, too. So glad you enjoyed it. Did you get your book signed?

    ReplyDelete