Friday, September 2, 2011

A Good Man Is Hard To Find Response Journal

"...it would have been better for all you, lady, if you hadn't of reckernized me" (O'Connor, 14).

After the Misfit said that, I definitely knew how things were going to come together by the end of the story. While Bobby Lee and Hiram were off in the woods, I noticed the certain tone and attitude that the Misfit had with his small talk and what I would describe as a generic criminal insight on life and ethics, that the grandmother was just lingering a little while longer. I wonder if she knew her fate after Bailey was killed? She called for him several times, even after the mother and daughter were killed too, but didn't really seem hysterical about her loss. I was also intrigued when the Misfit asked if the mother and daughter would like to join her husband. And then, even more so when she replied with a yes. I wonder, too, if she knew the fate that she accepted?
Another thing I would like to discuss is how spoiled June and John were, even when they got their way. For instance, when they were trying to persuade Bailey to turn around to see the house, they continued to kick and scream until they heard what they wanted or when June was about to be taken to the woods she was still able to mutter a somewhat pampered response such as, "I don't want to hold hands with him. He reminds me of a pig" (20). Or even in the beginning, John wanted to get through Georgia as quickly as possible and June talked to her grandmother so disrespectfully.
I thought this story was strange in the beginning with the grandmother being the only benevolent person, but also with her repeated mentions of the Misfit, reminiscing about better times and so on. However, this story quickly became climactic and mysterious when they reached the house. And then, suddenly everything started to make sense as soon as she mentioned she had this "peculiar feeling that the bespectacled man was someone she knew"(13). The read was somewhat suspenseful toward the end, because the imagery was so vivid. It felt as if I was watching it all happen.

Casi Flordeliza

4 comments:

  1. I forgot to mention that I was also surprised when at the end we find out that the Misfit was one of her own. But then I remembered her feeling like she already knew him. And then it all made sense. Lastly, when the Misfit said, "It's no real pleasure in life,"(22) I wonder if he felt a little remorse for killing his mother?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What made you to believe that the Misfit was actually her child? I know she says that he is one of her own but I didn't get the sense that he was her child or some kind of relative of hers. I too that the story was oddly paced because it was nicely going along then it quickly turned into a very climatic scene. However, what I think the author might have trying to express how that in life the unexpected can just happen in just any more. Like I said in my post the kids were disrespectful to everyone and I am just surprised how the parents just so easily let it slide by. It made me want to get a belt for the parents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i too was convince that the misfit was her child by your post. Even though at the end of the story we find out that the misfit is one of her kids. to me as well as others might agree that the story had a odd storyline pace from a nicely going to a climatic scene. but to me i believe thats how the author wrote the story to capture the audience attention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very good question: what does the grandmother mean when she says "you're one of my own"? let's talk about this in class.

    ReplyDelete