Monday, August 29, 2011

Reading Response 8/31

"To admit authorities, however heavily furred or gowned, into our libraries and let them tell us how to read, what to read, what value to place upon what we read, is to destroy the freedom which is the breadth of those sanctuaries" (Woolf 1).

This quote directs readers that they should read under their own convictions and do it in a manner that is well suited for them. I believe that most people, especially students in school, get turned off from reading because how books are presented to them in a manner of "it must be read between this time frame" and "you must look for these important concepts in the book". When it is done like that it destroys the pleasure of the fact of reading a new a book. When given the opportunity to read a new book the reader should read it in a manner that is convent and helps the reader connect to the story. I personally hated how my english teachers would have me take notes in the book while I am reading it. I would always take the time to read the chapters I was supposed to read for my homework without any highlighting or underlining. Then after I enjoyed reading the chapters I would go back to find the important concepts I was supposed to find. When reading isn't done with any pressures it helps them to connect to the book. Reading isn't just some dreadful task that has to be done, but it's an expression of who you are. Schools have made a stereotype that all books are boring, but there are so many other genres out there. Books describe the person, and if the freedom how picking your own book and how to read a book is taken away in a way your identity is taken away. For example I like christian fiction books. From that it expresses to others that I am a christian, i love stories, and love reading books where authors creatively mix both together. "If we could banish all such preconceptions when we read, that would be an admirable beginning" (Woolf 2). The passage from Woolf expressed to me that there is no right or wrong way to read a book, neither is good or bad book it is all subjective. All readers should embrace their individuality read any way that helps them connect to the story.

---Avan Price

5 comments:

  1. Well said my friend. As i read the text too it became clear to me just as much as it did to you on how everyone should read to their very own way and that will bring the best out of the book and the reader

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad we were hitting similar paths. I think that your response was interesting because you applied your personal experiences to reading and how that has changed. Reading is expressing your own individuality...you are completely right. I liked how you phrased it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was one of the many great points that can be drawn from Woolfs' work. The idea that someone should be told how to read, beyond the obvious mechanics of being taught reading ability, is untenable. This part of the reading shows not only how wrong it is to make people look at literature in a specific way, but also clues in to the fact that reading should be a personal adventure. I agree wholeheartedly that after having been in college for five years, my interest in reading has declined unfortunately, but that illustrates perfectly the point Woolf was making.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with your reading response. As I read this story, I recalled times in high school where a teacher made the class read certain types of literature, in a certain amount of time, and comment on certain points in the story. Overall put limitations on what we personally wanted to get out of the readings. This made my interest in reading fall quite a bit until I got out of high school and read more the way I wanted to. "To take no advice, to follow your own instincts, to use your own reason, to come to your own conclusions" (Woolf 1).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy you all seem to be enjoying the Woolf essay! Avan et al, I'm curious about how you think we can apply these ideas of Woolf's in our class this semester. How can a literature class mesh with the idea that we should draw our own conclusions about a book? And Avan, we'll of course have deadlines this semester about when you should read something and by when, but I think you'll find you also have a lot of freedom. We can talk more about this in class tomorrow. Good post, Avan!

    ReplyDelete